Friday, March 8, 2013

Could not activate cellular data network

Have you gone through a moment when your anxiety level reaches extraordinary heights as a result of your Apple army stops working?

You are not alone. The common error message is "Could not activate cellular data network", and you are well within the 3G coverage area.


iPhone

I've had similar problems with my previous iPhone 3GS and with my current iPhone 4S on several occasions and managed to get around them with simple toggling of the Airplane Mode. Tap to activate it then tap again to de-activate.

On other occasions a white apple reset (switching of/on the unit) did the trick.


Also happened on iPad

Today that error appeared on my new iPad (ipad 3) again when I tried surfing the internet. This is the first time that I encountered such issue since I purchased my iPad last year.

Other users stated that this maybe a wireless switching bug between WiFi and Cellular, but at the time of  the incident I was not connected or switched to WiFi. I was all the time on 3G.

Tried searching for specific info and iPad returned this error message


I search on the net and found that I should try the followings:

1. Toggle cellular data off and then on again on the iOS Device:
    iPad: Tap Settings > Cellular Data  --- did not work for me
2. Restart your iPad.                           --- did not work for me
3. Change Carrier (MY MAXIS) setting from Automatic to Manual selection --- also, no luck!


What did work?

4. Reset network settings worked for me, although I'm aware that not everyone get this one working for them.

a) Under Setting, tap General: then tap Reset



b) Tap Reset Network Settings: then enter your device passcode (if any).
     Note: Be prepared to get your network settings to the original factory setting.
              But it really is not harmful as other settings and data in your device are left intact.

c) Wait for a while and your iPad will automatically switch off and on with cellular data back functioning


I was able to surf again.


This is just a temporary solution as it could happen again anytime. If it is a bug in Apple's iOS program, I hope they will fix it sooner rather than later. You don't want to carry the tag of "A Device That Keep Crashing".

Hope this helps.

7 comments:

FiSh said...

same with my ipad too..but the problem comes and goes..so i dont know when will it be completely solved

Latest: I Have Too Much Body Fat!

tehr said...

aku belum ada iPad
harap2 bila aku dapat nanti, perkara macam ni tak berlaku lagi
hehe

Anonymous said...

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

Plz respond as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks

Feel free to surf to my web site: Methadone Rehab

Kitou said...

Lucky you iPhone owners, I am using Android and has no problem with 3G connection, but actually, I never had 3G internet, I always use WiFi..hehehe..bulum cukup peruntukan bah..

Anonymous said...

I am not using iPad but is it that bad, I mean is it a common problem?

de engineur said...

@Anon - it's common but not necessarily normal. This is my first issue with the ipad since I bought it last year.

Data Networking said...

It is really nice for me to see you and your great hardwork again.Every piece of your work look excellent.Looking forward to learing more from you!